In winter I find soups a great add on or alternative to juicing. They’re quick and easy to make and can be batch cooked to use for lunch or dinner for the coming week ahead.
Soups can be power packed with nutrients and antioxidants, which help the body and mind function to optimum capacity. The right ingredients can be tremendous in helping the skin cells to function correctly, resulting in brighter, smoother younger looking skin.
There is sufficient evidence available now that supports the health benefits of consuming plant based foods. Juicing and soup making is a great easy way yo incorporate this in to your diet.
Below are two really simple go to soup and juice recipes. Ideal if you’re feeling sluggish, nutrient deprived and your skin is dull, needing a pick me up boost.
The soup is packed with good fats, vitamins B, C & E along with anti inflammatory ingredients and minerals. All essential for great looking skin. This one in particular was inspired by my yoga mentor and friend Tara Stiles. If possible try to buy organic ingredients to avoid the consumption of pesticides.
Vegetable soup with a kick
1 red onion
2 – 3 sweet potatoes
1 can of coconut milk (full fat version)
Red chilli flakes
1 tbs olive oil
1. Slice and Chop the onion. Peel the sweet potatoes & chop into chunks. Chop the head of the broccoli into chunks.
2. Heat the pan, drop in the oil and fry the onions until softened.
3. Add the sweet potato and broccoli into the pan.
4. Cover all the vegetables in water ( Be sure not to fill too much. The contents of the pan should just be covered)
5. Drop in 1tbs of Turmeric and 1 tsp of chilli flakes and season with salt. Give it a good stir.
6. Bring the contents of the pan to the boil, then simmer until the vegetables are soft. Stirring occasionally.
7. Add the coconut milk once the vegetables have softened and leave to simmer for another 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
8. Blend to desired consistency and serve.
Gorgeously green smoothie
Power packed with ingredients that contain vitamins A, C, E Folate, omega 3, iron, magnesium and protein. Fabulous for plump, radiant, strong, clear healthy skin.
Handful of spinach
1 heaped tbs of ground Flaxseed
1 heaped tbs of ground Chia Seed
Organic almond milk
1 Chop all the ingredients into chunks
2 If using a nutribullet or blender, layer the spinach and avocado first and the fruit second.
3 Sprinkle over the Flaxseed and chia seed
4 Pour over the almond milk till the ingredients is covered
5 Blend, serve and enjoy!